Do you have the right personality for College?

Community & Developmental Service Worker


Fill out form get more info

Are you an international student?
Do you have a study permit in Canada?
Do you have a refugee status in Canada?

Please contact me with more information relating to the school and program(s). I understand I may cancel my consent at anytime.

Community & Developmental Service Worker Diploma Program

Trillium College’s Community & Developmental Service Worker (CDSW) diploma program gives you the knowledge, practical skills and confidence to offer support as a community service worker. A community & developmental service worker can work along side a social worker who assists people of all ages with mental and physical disabilities or who face challenges with mental health and / or addictions. A service worker is trained to help those who struggle with a variety of social challenges.

This program gives you the skills needed to work as part of a social support team that works with individuals or community groups by facilitating appropriate social, physical and mental health services. You will develop skills as a community & developmental service worker in client assessment, client education, referral procedures, and effective monitoring of client treatments.

Areas of Focus

This academic program covers information in the following subject areas:
You will perform 40 hours of volunteer service in the community prior to beginning a community & developmental service worker placement. After completion of the in-class components and volunteer service, you will gain valuable professional experience in community and developmental support settings in a comprehensive placement experience.

Employment Opportunities

As a graduate of Trillium College’s Community & Developmental Service Worker (CDSW) diploma program, the opportunities you can pursue span nearly all aspects of human services. You may find employment as a life skills instructor, community development worker, community service worker, crisis intervention worker, developmental service worker, drop-in center worker, family service worker, group home worker, mental health worker, Aboriginal outreach worker, veteran services officer, welfare and compensation officer, addictions worker, women’s shelter supervisor, rehabilitation worker. Potential work settings for a community service worker may include community residences, private homes, recreation programs, schools, hospitals, social services, and government agencies.

Admission Requirements

Grade 12 diploma or equivalent, or mature student status (18 years of age)
Current immunization record
Submission of a clear Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) report with Vulnerable Sector Screening
Completed Vulnerable Sector Screening waiver

Financial Aid

At Trillium College, our Student Finance department is available to discuss all of your options and answer any of your questions. Call us NOW! We can help you determine a plan that is best for you. We are here to help you make a confident decision about investing in yourself and your future.

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)

Financial assistance may be available for those who qualify. Please feel free to contact our Trillium College Student Finance Advisors for more information and details regarding documentation required.

Key Performance Indicator and Loan Default Rates

As a Trillium College graduate, you will be contacted in a few months’ time regarding your participation in the Key Performance Indicator (KPI) Graduate Satisfaction Survey.

Out of Province Student Loans

Students from provinces outside of Ontario may also qualify for funding from the last province in which they resided for 12 consecutive months. For a list of provincial offices, please visit website.

Employment Ontario

Second Careers is administered by the Ontario Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (ASED) which helps laid-off workers re- train for a new career. If you were laid off any time after January 1, 2005 you are eligible to apply; including those who have taken an interim job to make ends meet. If you qualify, funding is available to support the cost of tuition, books, daycare, transportation and a basic living allowance.

Lifelong Learning Plan (RRSP)

The Lifelong Leaning Plan (LLP) allows you to withdraw money from your RRSPs to finance your education or that of your spouse or common-law partner. You can withdraw up to $10,000 per year, up to a total maximum of $20,000.

Registered Education Savings Plans

A student who is named under a family’s Registered Education Savings Plan may use these funds to cover the costs of education at an eligible post-secondary institution such as Trillium College.

Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)

If you are a WSIB recipient or a surviving spouse, WSIB has funding resources for labour market re-entry. Speak to your case manager about re-training, which will help prepare you to get back into the work force.

Aboriginal/First Nations

If you are a registered Status Indian or Inuit (residing on or off the reserve) and plan on going back to school, you may be eligible for funding for your post-secondary studies if you register with an eligible educational institution such as Trillium College.

Frequently Asked Questions


It’s easy! To start the application process, simply fill out the “I Want Answers” form above!


Trillium College offers several 100% online diploma programs Business, Technology, & Human Services, check out our programs to discover all the details.


Please visit program page to get more information.


Yes, we offer Grants, Loans and Private Student Loans. Check for more info on our financial-aid page